Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Letter From Mommy

Dear Noah,


So your going to be a big brother in just a few short months. I know you didn't really ask to be a big brother, or have any choice at all in that matter, but I want you to know mommy and daddy love you just the same. And we always will. When we decided we wanted to add another child to our family, you were a big deciding factor in if and when we would be. Your daddy, who absolutely adores you, worried that you would feel left out or that you actually would get left out in the midst of a new baby. But me, being selfish and thinking about myself, was convinced all would be well and you'd be happy to be a big brother, and of course you wouldn't feel left out!


But now that a new baby is actually on the way, I find myself second guessing everything. I am beyond excited to add a new member to our family, but I do worry about you. When I was pregnant with you I was worried about how I would be as a mother, and if I would know what to do. This time my biggest fear is how you will react to having a new baby in the family. I want the change to be as easy as possible for you, although I know its going to be a huge change for all of us. I want you to know that mommy and daddy love you just the same as we always have and that will never change. I don't want you to feel like you are left out or forgotten because we are super busy with the baby who cries a lot and has to eat a lot and who keeps mommy and daddy awake at night. We may be grumpy at times once the baby comes, and we may get irritated at each other or even at you, but that doesn't mean we love you any less. You are our world and no matter what changes occur in our lives you will always be our world.


I pray every night for you and your brother and I pray that you two will get along great and be best friends throughout your whole life. I know things might be tough at first, and heck, you might not even like your new brother very much when he gets here but just hang in there and we'll get through those first few months together. And before you know it, he'll be able to run around and play with you..I promise!


Once again, mommy and daddy love you. I can't say that enough! And while you can't understand this now, I will do everything in my power to help you understand the changes that will happen and to make sure you know every day how much we love you and how special you are to us.


Love you always and forever,


Mommy



I'm linking up over at Things I Can't Say for Pour Your Heart Out. Come check it out!



5 comments:

  1. I completely understand that fear. Right before Alexander was born, I was crazy nervous... how would the twins react to him? Were we making the right decision? So many questions... I even wondered if I really could love this new baby as much as I loved the twins. I know... it sounds weird, but - fears are fears. As I'm sure you've heard a million times before - they will love each other and you will love them. Great post.
    Kristen @ www.alittlesomethingforme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I worried about this when I was pregnant with my second. Especially b/c my boys are so close in age.

    Those feelings went away once the baby was born, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had these concerns when I was pregnant with number 2. I never had them again after that transition (we have 4).

    My best advice is, include him as much as you can in the beginning (I know it's not always possible). Let him help, if he is interested. Mine loved to throw away the diapers, help get changes of clothes, grab the pacifier when dropped, etc. Best of all, they loved to smother the new babies with love, hugs, kisses, and baby talk. It doesn't take long for them to fall in love with their new sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worried about the same things when we adopted our second child and then again when I was shockingly pregnant with our third child! I worried about so many things, about anybody's feelings being hurt, anyone feeling less loved. I had so many sleepless nights and feelings of regret until the day came that all three were here and my love shined through for all three equally and in abundance. The love they all share between themselves and for my husband and I is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a sweet letter. I have some of those same concerns with having another baby. Right now, we're just talking about adding to the family. We'll see how it goes. Noah will really appreciate this letter one day!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love by leaving a comment! <3

ShareThis