Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hi, Cinella from The Mami Blog here to bring you one of my favorite and requested recipes from fans. And I just wanted to share it with ya'll. I love to try new recipies but come on over and visit my blog for a wide variety of posts that include how to save money, being eco-friendly and just being a Mami! (Mami is the spanish word for Mommy and pronounced the exact same way, FYI) Thanks for reading.
Cinella @ TMB
Blog: http://cjrthemamiblog.blogspot.com
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/themamiblog
Photobucket

Growing up it wasn't a meal if there wasn't rice or beans! Living in south Texas knowing how to cook spanish rice is a must and can sometimes be a deal breaker in relationships. When most Hispanics meet your significant other for the first time they make a "date" for when they will have the next BBQ and the "girlfriend" will make the rice and/or beans and they will see if she knows how to make them. It's not that hard if you know how to make it. But you need to remember, when you are cooking a bigger batch you need to stir it in between the simmering time so that it gets evenly cooked. My grandma would sometimes make extra big batches and just scrap off the top layer because it wouldn't cook right! That was her little secret. But everyone knew she did it. It came out perfect every time.

It took me about three years after leaving home to get it right. My hubby had already married me, lol. So he had to go through three years with crunchy rice! lol. Hubby had always told me that his dad had to show me how to make rice n beans, but he past away suddenly last January, but I got it right non the less.

Here is my altered recipe that I hope my daughter will one day master and find a suitable life partner who is satisfied with the recipe as well.... lol

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced carrot (optional)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with chiles, such as Rotel
3 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin

Directions
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. I don't like to add the garlic right away because if it burns you will be able to taste that burned taste and it isn't too pleasant.
2. Add rice to saucepan, stirring to coat with oil. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes with chiles, chicken broth, and cumin, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
3. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Note: Be sure to add the correct amount of liquid. If there isn't enough the rice will dry up on the bottom, it will still be eatable, but not all of it. If you add too much then your rice will be soggy. There are some people who prefer it a bit more tender than it's suppose to be.... it's all about preference.

I thought I'd add a recipe for Enchilada sauce that I am trying out. I got it from my grandmothers neighbor. It looks pretty simple. I've tried lots of different sauce recipes; from a can, with corn start, flour, lots of chili powder, diced tomatoes. Sooo many, hubby hasn't chosen one that he likes yet.

Yvette decided that she wanted to help me make the enchiladas, she loves them as much as daddy does. She likes extra meat in hers! Here are some pictures:

Photobucket
She loves to help in the kitchen!

Photobucket
Being silly and eating some cheese!
Photobucket
Yummy meat
Photobucket
My hand is getting tired from "stirring constantly"
Photobucket
I like to be organized with my ingredients... you should see my cabinets

Now for the Enchilada sauce. It turned out so great! Hubby loved it. I called Ms. Rosas right away (my grandmas neighbor) to tell her the great news and she said she knew he would like it. She asked me what color it was and I told her it was more brown than red and then she smirk'd and said, "Ah good, you did it right." I was so proud of myself and I felt lucky that she shared that recipe with me and allowed me to share it with my readers as well.

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup oil
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup grilled onions (optional)
2/3 cups water

Directions:
1. Brown flour in oven until golden brown. In a frying pan with cooking oil put flour,chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salt (add grilled onions).
2. Blend well. Over a low fire, gradually add water, stirring constantly.
3. If flour begins to lump, remove from fire and stir until lumps are gone.
4. Then place over the fire and continue adding the water ,little by little.
5. Simmer gently for about one hour, stirring occasionally
I hope you liked this recipe and if you have any that you would like to share with my readers and I, please contact me!




1 comment:

  1. your husband definitely loves you then... marrying you without perfecting the rice just yet? true love! ;-)

    I would love to try that enchilada! I must!

    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love by leaving a comment! <3

ShareThis