Monday, July 8, 2013

Making Time for Me- Why it is So Important!


When Isaac turned a year old he hit toddler hood full force! I was hoping I'd have a few months of my little baby still but he started walking the day after his birthday and it all went downhill from there! Suddenly I had TWO walking and talking little ones! Noah was three and a half and was coming on strong with the attitude and it just seemed like all I was doing all day long was catering to two whiny little boys. One was always awake, even through the night! They even began fighting over toys already! I was beyond overwhelmed. 

After much anxiety and feeling overwhelmed for a month or so I began running. A friend of mine was running and said it was such a stress relief so I thought I would try it. Running soon became a daily routine along with eating healthier and it also became a stress relief for me. Now I don't just run but I work out 5-6 days a week. I work out hard too. I sweat. I feel tired. And it feels great! It's my ME time. It's my way to let all the stress of the day go and start fresh. 


As a mom, making time for yourself is so important. There's no denying that raising kids can be hard. You lose sleep and you wipe noses and you drive them around and entertain them all day long. But we can't lose track of ourselves and who we are. Here's why:


  1. If we want to be the best for our kids we have to feel good. You love your kids right? You want to be there for them. You want to be happy for them. You don't want to be an anxious, grumpy, wound up mess all the time do you? That's how I felt for a while after Isaac hit a year old. And I still feel that way sometimes, but my daily time with the Lord and my ME time is what helps me to get through the day now and helps me to be happy and rejuvenated every day. 
  2. Me Time gives you time to rest. When I work out I'm not really resting but I do take time every now and then to go take a nap or take a long hot bath when I can. It is good to rest, especially when you've been going all day (and sometimes night) long! Give yourself that time to rest!
  3. Me Time helps relieve stress. It really does! Especially, in my opinion, time completely alone to just breathe and sit quietly and get lost in my own thoughts. That really helps to relieve stress. If I'm having a rough day and I finally get a moment all to myself I feel so much better after that!
  4. Me Time gives you time to reconnect with friends. I don't get to do it often but I love to get together with friends and work out or go shopping or get pedicures together! Just me and my friends with no kiddos! It's so nice to connect with other moms and be reminded that we aren't alone and we aren't the only ones with little toddlers and babies keeping us up all night! It's great to get encouragement and advice from friends! 
  5. Me Time is good for your relationships. When we are stressed and overwhelmed it not only affects our kids but it affects other relationships as well, especially with our spouses. You don't want to be grumpy and irritated at your spouse because your just tired from the busy, stressful day but sometimes that's what happens. When we get that me time to de-stress and rejuvenate it will help us to not be as stressed out and grumpy towards our spouse as well. 
Now I know it's not always possible to have Me Time every day. I try to work out every day but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Or it doesn't happen until after the kids go to bed. But I think it is really important to try to get just a few minutes a day to yourself. Even if you have to lock yourself in the bathroom! But really, it is good to try to get those few minutes to just breathe. Also, if possible try to get some extended Me Time at least once every couple of weeks. If you can get your spouse to watch the kids while you take a hot bath or go to coffee with friends. With a little me time your day, week, and months can be a lot more pleasant for you! 

What things do you do for Me Time? How often do you get to have some Me Time?



3 comments:

  1. I've started getting up early so I can have some peace and quiet. I also try to take a yoga class every once in a while. I also listen to my favorite podcasts while I'm driving around. It's almost like having an adult conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to get back into running. It really is a great stress buster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting some me time is the only thing I am excited about when my daughter starts kindergarten this fall. I picture exercising a little bit more, taking classes and actually getting my hair done again :)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love by leaving a comment! <3

ShareThis