Saturday, May 25, 2013

#FlatsChallenge Day 6- My Favorite Fold and Some Things I've Learned About Flats!


It's Day 6 of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry! Today  is an open topic day so I thought I'd share with you my favorite fold for flats (say that 3x fast!) and also share some things I have learned about flats!


The Origami Fold is my favorite fold for flats! Mostly because it's the only one I'm really good at other than just tri-folding them, which doesn't really count I don't think. It's easy and covers baby's bum very well! It does take a little bit of folding but it's not hard at all once you get it down once! 

1.  Lay your flat out flat
2. Fold flat upward in half
3. Fold flat across in half again. 
4. Grab the first layer at the top corner and pull across making a triangle. (Just the first layer!!)
5. Turn the whole thing over. 
6. Grab the part that is still a rectangular shape and tri-fold it. 
7. Put your baby on the diaper and put the tri-folded part over baby and wrap the triangular part (the wings) around your baby and secure with a snappi or pins! 

See simple! I learned it by watching videos on you tube so you might want to check that out too! I love this fold and use it a lot throughout the day!

What I've Learned About Flats

Before this challenge I had never used flats. I have been cloth diapering for nearly four years and had never used flats. So this has been a complete learning experience for me. Here are some thing I've learned about using flats!

1. Flats are cheap! I sort of knew this already but I didn't know how cheap! My favorite flats so far are the flour sack towels I got from Walmart for $5! They are nice and big and work great! It would cost about $25 to get a little over 2 dozen flats if you just used those! That's really cheap and really awesome! 
2. They aren't as easy as a pocket or AIOs, but they are still pretty easy! Even if you didn't learn any of the different folds except for how to tri-fold it into a cover you'd be completely fine using just flats. A lot of the time that's all I do because it's so quick and simple! 
3. They can be messy. Since I'm not used to just a flat piece of fabric as my diaper I sometimes forget how easily they can unfold and that can make a big mess with a poopy diaper! Not my favorite part, but isn't being a parent of little ones messy in general? It's not the worst I've dealt with for sure. 
4. They can work at night!! I was worried about using flats at night, and granted I still cheat a little and stuff them inside a pocket, we haven't had one leak all week long! They are pretty dang absorbent! 
5. I like them a lot more than I thought I would! I'll admit, when I decided to sign up for the flats challenge I thought I would give it a go but would probably end up reselling my flats and going back to my pockets and AIOs. Now that we are approaching the end of the week I am seriously considering switching to flats full time! They are just so easy! Easy to use, easy to wash, super quick to dry, and so cheap! I really like them! Now hand washing is something I am NOT considering doing full time! I miss my washing machine! 

If you are doing the flats challenge or use flats, what's your favorite fold? What are some things you've learned since using flats?

4 comments:

  1. Well this almost... makes me wish my grown children were little once again. Flats/single layer were my choice of diaper when my 5 were in diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to cloth diapers, 2 months in and us AIOs. Maybe I will give these flats a shot. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used flats. They made me nervous.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love by leaving a comment! <3

ShareThis