It's World Breastfeeding Week!!Yay! World Breastfeeding Week recognizes how far breastfeeding has come, how important it is, and to raise breastfeeding awareness. For me choosing to breastfeed is just a personal choice for feeding my baby. I think breastfeeding is awesome and I think every mama should at least give it a try, but I do realize it doesn't work out for everybody. So I'm just going to explain to you why I choose to breastfeed and maybe I can help some mama's out who might be on the fence about breastfeeding!
- Breastfeeding is just natural. It's just sort of a given for me. I mean our bodies automatically start making milk after we give birth, specifically to feed our babies. Even when I was pregnant with Noah I knew I was going to breastfeed. It was just something I knew I would do when I had kids.
- Breastfeeding is convenient. Well, most of the time. When I go somewhere I don't have to pack bottles and formula and worry about not having enough or running out. When Isaac is hungry I can just pull up my shirt and feed him. No mixing or warming required.
- Breastfeeding is healthy. It's good for Isaac and it's good for me. There are so many great nutrients in breast milk. And now they say breastfeeding helps reduce the risk of breast cancer in women! That's awesome!
- Breastfeeding is relaxing. Seriously, some days the only time I get to sit down is when I'm nursing Isaac! I always get super relaxed when I'm nursing and from what I've read it's the hormones that are released when breastfeeding. It's so nice to sit for a bit and relax while Isaac nurses right before bed. I just close my eyes and enjoy that moment with him.
- Breastfeeding is special. I love that I get extra cuddle time with Isaac when he nurses. It's a bond that nobody else has with him and I love that. It's something I will miss when we are done breastfeeding.
I know breastfeeding doesn't work out for some and some mother's choose not to breastfeed, but for me breastfeeding my babies was always a given. I love breastfeeding and although we've had our rough patches, it's an easy, natural thing for us now.