Friday, January 4, 2013

Cloth Diaper Blog Hop! {How and Why I Started Cloth Diapering!}


I'm really excited to be participating in the Cloth Diaper Blog Hop hosted by My Cloth Diaper Stash! Each week there will be a different topic and blogs can link up their blog posts on that topic! This week's topic is: How and Why I Started Cloth Diapering! I think I've wrote about this before but instead of trying to find it I'm just going to write it again!

I didn't start cloth diapering Noah until he was 7 months old. When I was pregnant I knew about cloth diapers but I just wasn't that concerned with them. But then after Noah was born, some of my new mommy friends were using cloth and I became a little bit interested. I started doing a little bit of research and saw the initial start up costs for cloth diapers and my interest was quickly shot down. I knew that wasn't something we could afford, especially if it was something I didn't stick with or didn't like. So I gave up that idea. 

Then a month or so later, I was talking to a mommy friend who used cloth diapers and she told me about a local store that did a trial program. It was only $10 for you to pick out different kinds of diapers to try and see if you like them for two weeks. What you didn't like you could return, and what you did like you would purchase. I knew this would be perfect! So I explained to my husband how cloth diapers would save us a ton of money and how the trial program would give us the chance to try them without spending a whole bunch of money. He went for it!

So we went to the local store and talked to the owner about cloth and getting started! She was very helpful and explained to us how they worked and what detergents we needed to use with them and how they needed to be washed. Then we picked out some cloth diapers to try for our trial program! I picked out one of everything! From prefolds to AIOs! 

I went home right away and washed them how she explained they needed to be washed! The very next day, which was Thanksgiving of 2009 I tried my very first cloth diaper on Noah. It was a prefold, held together with a snappi, with a Thirsties cover over it! 

Here's a picture of Noah in his very first cloth diaper!



I was hooked! Even my husband liked them, and he really liked how much money they would save us! I slowly purchased my stash, one or two diapers each paycheck, and was able to get a decent stash built within a few months! I cloth diapered Noah until he potty trained shortly after he turned 2 and then cloth diapered Isaac from birth and he's still in cloth diapers! I love cloth diapers!

If you want to link up, write a blog post about how and why you started cloth diapering and link up over at My Cloth Diaper Stash
!-- start InLinkz script -->


1 comment:

  1. I did not cloth diaper my first born because I did not know much about it and thought that it was like it was when our grandparents had kids. I did some research about it when I became pregnant with my second (since I was a sahm and wanted to save money where I could) and boy was I wrong. I love my cloth and so does my LO. When I have to put a disposable on him he tries to get away and cries.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love by leaving a comment! <3

ShareThis