Friday, June 7, 2013

I am a Runner



Tomorrow I am running my very first 5k. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. Today I am kinda just in awe that I have come this far. I have always hated running and just exercising in general. But in February I was inspired by my mother-in-law and a good friend who were both doing the couch to 5k program. I still had not found a good work out routine for myself but I wanted to be fit and healthy, so I thought I'd give it a try too! 

Here we are four months later and running and working out is now a part of my daily routine. I don't feel right if I don't do some form of physical activity, even if it means just taking a walk with the kids. When I first started the couch to 5k I could barely run for a minute without feeling completely winded and like I was going to fall out. Now I can run nearly a half an hour without stopping and without feeling like I'm going to die! I'm just amazed at what all I've accomplished. I am by no means a pro and I don't even know how I'll actually do in a real race but I am a runner. It feels so good to be able to say that. 

Why do I run? How did I go from hating running to loving it? Here are a few reasons I've become a runner. 

I run because when I do I feel strong. There is nothing more empowering than finishing a run. There's always a point in my run when I feel like I should quit and I want to quit. I get tired and I'm just ready to be done. But that's when it becomes mind over body and I have to tell myself not to quit and that I can do this and that I am strong. Then when I finish it is the greatest feeling ever. 

I run to be healthy. I am only 25 years old, but I feel the healthiest I have ever felt before now that I am running and working out daily. About two years ago I was in horrible shape and would get winded just walking up stairs. Now I can run up stairs and feel great! I want to be healthy for myself and for my family. I want to show my kids how to live a healthy lifestyle and how to be fit. Running helps me be healthy and feel great!

I run to relieve stress.  After a long day with whiny kids, a messy house, and laundry piled up to my ears, going for a run is the best stress reliever. It's so nice to just be alone in my thoughts and let go of all the stress of the day. 

I run for myself. All day every day I am doing something for someone else. I love to do for my kids and I love to be a stay at home mom who cooks and cleans and plays with my kids all day. Yes, I really do love it. But even the best of moms need to do something for themselves. We all need to take time for ourselves once in a while and running is what I do for myself. It is my thing. It is my time. It is for me. 

I am excited to run my first 5k tomorrow and while I'm running it I know I will be thinking about how far I've come and how much I've accomplished! I just know it's going to be a great feeling and I can't wait!

Do you workout? What's your workout of choice? Why do you love it? I'd love for you to share in the comments below! 


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations and good luck on the run!

    I ran for about a month one summer and I loved it! However, my knee didn't. So I've stuck to bike riding and walking ever since.

    -- Laura @ Frugal Follies

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've come so far and I think that's amazing! You're also setting a good example for your children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to be a runner... but shin splints sort of kill that. My favorite thing to do is actually to go on solitary hikes in the woods: just me, the dog, and a can of bear spray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started running in April but I'm not doing very well at it. I'm only running a kilometre at a time and only 3 times a week. I know I need to increase but I am still struggling to run the whole kilometre. I'm not sure if I should add more runs in first or up the km first or up both at the same time...
    I'll figure something out. I guess if I just keep at it, it is still better than not running

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to get back into working out again (even joined a gym with child care), thanks for motivating me! Maybe I will try to take up running again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chick! Well done on your run! I do a mix of whatever I feel like doing. I found the couch to 5k program and there really is nothing better than a run (outside of course). I am still doing week one until I feel ready for week 2, but I really need to push past the "readiness" and get it done like you and everyone else.
    Well done on what you have achieved!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love by leaving a comment! <3

ShareThis