Friday, December 7, 2012

We Did It! Now What? {My Son and I's First Year Breastfeeding}


If you have followed my blog for some time you know that I was very determined to breastfeed Isaac for at least a year. I didn't know much about breastfeeding and the work and dedication it took when Noah was an infant so he only got breastmilk for four months. While that is still really good, I wanted to breastfeed my next baby for a year if it was at all possible. 

So when I was pregnant with Isaac I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of other breastfeeding moms and became as educated and dedicated as I felt that I could. Well things went great right from the very first time he nursed! We never really had any issues. I always  had an adequate supply and he always had a great latch. Neither of us had any health issues or anything that prevented him from nursing. I would say the most difficult thing we dealt with in our nursing journey was him biting me a few times while he was teething. Now that is painful! But it wasn't anything that made me want to give up or stop. 

I am very proud to say that Isaac never had one ounce of formula the first year of his life. We got lucky. A lot of women go through many difficulties and challenges to breastfeed. It was a breeze for us. So now a year has come and gone and I'm finding myself at a crossroads. I'm very proud of myself for accomplishing my goal, but now what? Isaac is still nursing twice a day at least, sometimes more. But I didn't really think about what we would do after a year. I know toddler nursing is very normal and a good thing, but I never pictured myself nursing a two or three year old. I can't even imagine my big, tall 3 year old nursing right now. That just seems like such a strange thought to me. But do I want to wean my son now? I'm not sure. I enjoy our nursing sessions and that time we get to just sit and snuggle and rest. I'm not sure how I'll feel if and when he decides to wean. Will I be sad? Will I be relieved? Don't get me wrong, sometimes I wish someone else could nurse him and I could have my body back! But other times I love nursing my sweet boy. 

Everyone tells you to do what works best for you, and I completely agree. There are mothers who only want to nurse for a week, a month, a year, or a few years. That's completely up to them and their child. But what do you do when you don't know what works best for you? I guess I was so set on just making it through the first year that I didn't think about where we would go from here. I guess we'll just take it one day at a time and see how it goes. We accomplished our goal and now we're just enjoying the ride. And I'm totally ok with that. 

5 comments:

  1. I was the same way - exactly! I knew I wanted to make it to a year, but I didn't really think past that. Stick to your relaxed expectations. My son weaned himself down to just once a day and then, after a few weeks, he dropped the last one too. No tears, no fuss -- he was just ready. I have to say, the freedom is rather sweet ;) but mostly, I'm happy we got there without stress or worry! Good job, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on making it 1 year! That is a great thing for you and baby, so you should be very proud! :) That is my goal with my new baby due in March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in your EXACT same shoes at this very moment. I never wanted to be "that" person nursing her huge kid but I seriously love our quiet time and sweet cuddles. I am going to be writing a post about this soon!! Goodluck to you and your little man in the months that follow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, the perfect timing of this post!
    Aubrey and I just made it to the first year a couple of days ago. My goal was a year and now, like you I have no idea where to go!
    I think I am going to just follow her lead. I have noticed that she will go longer stretches without nursing during the day which both excites and saddens me. I have a feeling this will only continue for a couple of months or so.
    Keep us posted! I am interested to see how your journey goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love by leaving a comment! <3

ShareThis