Monday, March 11, 2013
Five Ways To Relieve Morning Sickness
Your so excited for the new little bundle of joy growing inside of you! You can't wait to meet him or her! You are so excited to be pregnant! Then morning sickness hits and it's not so fun anymore!
Morning sickness is a symptom of pregnancy that a lot of women get! It can consist of nausea or actual vomiting, just in the morning or all day long! I'm not pregnant myself, but I have been twice and both times morning sickness was a pretty rough symptom for me. With my first baby I vomited every day, at least once a day, the first three months of my pregnancy. I lost 11 pounds! With my second pregnancy I only vomited a few times but was nauseous all day long every day! I tried a lot of different things to relieve my morning sickness and I'm going to share with you the top five that worked the best for me!
1. Lemon - This is one that I don't see a lot of people talk about but it worked great for me when I was nauseous! I would cut up a lemon and carry a bag of it with me everywhere! Any time I started to feel nauseous I would suck on a piece of the lemon! It would take the nausea away! It was just a temporary fix until my next bout of nausea hit me, but it worked.
2. Light meals, frequently! If I always had something in my stomach I always felt a little bit better than if my stomach was completely empty. I remember keeping a pack of saltines on my bedside table and munching on a few before I would even get out of bed so that I'd have something in my stomach when I got up. Then I would eat small meals, even if it was just some crackers and cheese, every couple of hours to keep my stomach from being empty. This helped so much with the nausea and vomiting.
3. Hard Candy- Another temporary fix is hard candy. Some mamas prefer peppermint, but I liked to suck on Jolly Ranchers. I don't know how it helped but sucking on some hard candy always helped with the nausea. I would have hard candy with me wherever I went so if I was out and started to feel nauseous I would just pop a Jolly Rancher in my mouth and would start to feel better.
4. Acupressure wristbands- These nifty little bands are awesome! They go on your wrists and put pressure on your pressure point right between your hand and your arm. Acupressure relieves nausea and believe it or not it really works! I bought a pair of Sea-Bands at Walgreens when I was about 6 weeks pregnant and wore them probably throughout my entire first trimester! I would wear them all day long and they helped tremendously! Here I am at about 8 weeks pregnant and you can see I'm wearing the Sea-Bands in this picture!
5. Ginger- This one was not one of my favorites because I'm not a huge fan of ginger but it did help. Sipping on some ginger-ale or ginger tea can help with the nausea. I usually only drank some ginger-ale when I was at home and feeling awful, but it did help.
If you are pregnant and suffering from morning sickness I urge you to give some of these a try. Hopefully one will relieve some of that awful nausea and vomiting. If you are still unable to find any relief and are not able to keep anything down, I definitely suggest talking to your doctor. There are medications out there that can relieve your morning sickness also, and are safe to you and baby. Also, try not to get too discouraged. I remember feeling so discouraged because I was so sick every day, especially with my first pregnancy. But the great thing about it is that it will pass and soon you will be holding your precious baby in your arms and you will barely remember the miserable morning sickness!